South East Road Race League Preparation Training Sessions
The South East Road Race league (SERRL), (along with Surrey League), have introduced Race Preparation Training. All novice & 4th cats must attend two of these training sessions before they can ride any SERRL races on the open road. It does not matter how many events you have raced as a 4th cat, these training days are compulsory.
The training sessions will be held throughout the year and at various locations within the South East area as and when we can find suitable venues on suitable dates.
The training sessions will be run by qualified British Cycling coaches, we’ll also have a number of ‘experienced’ riders on hand to ride with you and offer advice and tips throughout the day on everything from race tactics to licensing and categories. Below is an outline of the areas that will be covered, although this is fluid as the group dynamic/weather conditions etc often dictate the session content/timings.
Circuit session General:
· Group riding awareness, communication,
· Bunch etiquette rights and wrongs,
· Correct positions for various race scenarios.
· Pedalling technique and cadence drills.
Group riding skills: (Basic)
· Maintaining a position in a bunch,
· Changing position in a bunch,
· Moving from back to front in a bunch etc.
· Positioning for attacks, breaks,
· Final lap sprints.
· Safely switching lines when responding to developing race scenarios.
· Cornering: Line choice, gear selection, entry and exit speed, body position on the bike, eye-line.
· Optimum line and enforced change of line due to other riders.
Group riding skills: (Advanced)
· Working efficiently in smaller groups,
· breaks, chases etc.
· TTTs and T & Os, pace lines/ chain gangs – close wheel-to-wheel riding.
· Sprinting: Good technique, holding a line etc.
· Strength vs Speed: Significance of high cadence vs low, hard gears.
· Rights and wrongs for circuit/road racing.
· Practical drills and how to improve.
Coach-led races: We finish the circuit element with ‘mock’ races scenarios to practice the coaching points from the session and discuss race scenarios and tactics
· We’ll start the day with a presentation giving an overview of the race preparation session.
· If conditions allow we’ll be doing video analysis of certain elements during the session and start by reviewing some footage here.
6th November 2021 at Cyclopark, Gravesend, Kent. Enter: SERRL 4th Category Race Preparation Sessions #1 Events - British Cycling
4th December 2021 at Cyclopark, Gravesend, Kent. Enter: SERRL 4th Category Race Preparation Sessions #2 Events - British Cycling
8th January 2022 at Cyclopark, Gravesend, Kent. Enter: SERRL 4th Category Race Preparation Sessions #3 Events - British Cycling
22nd January 2022 at Cyclopark, Gravesend, Kent Enter: SERRL 4th Category Race Preparation Sessions #4 Events - British Cycling